Wednesday, March 12, 2008

You Know You've Lost Weight When...(and a Message)

Last night I went to a Cub Scout banquet with my nanny family, a fun program that moved nannyboy from a Cub Scout to a Boy Scout. Before the event started we were all around talking to people and I went over to sit with nannygirl who was talking to a neighbor of ours. This woman is someone that I've worked for, she owns a daycare and I've filled in for her when she's had to be away, so we know each other well enough. I sat down and said hi, she looked at me and said, "Hi, I'm Kim." as if she didn't know who I was. At first I thought she was just joking around but then she didn't start laughing right away so I got this puzzled look on my face. She then gasped, laughed and said, "Oh, Liz, it's you!" more laughter and chatter and then, "What have you done with yourself?" in reference to her not recognizing me right away. I said, "Well, I got my hair cut and I've lost 30 pounds.", "That's it!" she said, "Good for you!" and on we chatted. I can't tell you how good that felt!

I took my niece out to lunch yesterday as she didn't have school for an in service day. I picked up an alternative newspaper that was in the entryway and read through it while we were waiting for our food (Lex was reading a book for school at this time). After lunch we read a little more and I came across the Free Will Astrology section. Now, I have to say that I'm not big on this kind of thing, I'd say I read them on occasion for entertainment. This one really caught my attention though so I ripped the page out and brought it home so I could post it on my bedroom mirror.

Rome
"Cancer (June 21-July 22): In the Tibetan Buddhist tradition, prayer flags are sets of brightly colored sacramental cloths that are inscribed with holy words and images of deities. They're not designed for indoor use in solemn ceremonies, but are hung outside where the wind blows their blessings to the heavens and all over the world. I recommend that you draw inspiration from this practice. It's a perfect time to take your spiritual yearnings away from the church and temple and mosque, and beyond all sheltered, temperature-controlled trappings. Build a shrine in the wilderness, Cancerian. Sing a hymn from a mountaintop, or create your own homemade prayer flags and hang them from a tree."

Wow! That is something that I really needed to read! I've been attending this new church that is quite active, wonderful praise and worship and the pastor is a great speaker-very motivating and makes me think about things much more deeply. I haven't taken the plung to get active yet and put my faith more out in the open. This says to me that I need to step outside myself and my comfort zone so I can shine in a way that I've always wanted to. Someday when I've got a tree to hang prayer flags on I may do just that!

No comments: